black and white 16mm film to digital, 4:3
CINAMNESIA draws links between the twenty-four vertebrae in the human spine and the twenty-four frames per second in 16mm film whilst exploring the effects of film on the nervous system.
A combination of performance and documentary on black and white 16mm film misplace experiences of time and movement. There is an examination of the spine and the materiality of film from both scientific and surrealist perspectives. It examines the process of watching film and the nature of recording, questioning how present an experience it is.
Cinematic illusion is questioned through the portrayal of anaesthesia as an induced experiential state similar to that of choosing to sit in a cinema. Illusion is also referenced by the cave as a primal root of cinema, hand-drawn as if to be a reminder of how histories are recorded through movement, distorted by perceptions. Structurally the film is considered as a backbone holding images being re-recorded by the audience every time it’s played.
Exhibition & Festival screenings:
Exquisite Mutations, Annandale Galleries – Curated by Mitchell Cross.
Exhibition dates: 1 July – 1 August ’15
2014 – 2015
Striking Contrasts – Curated by dLux MediaArts in association with Geoffrey Weary, Sydney College of the Arts, University of Sydney and toured by Museums & Galleries NSW.
- Bathurst Regional Art Gallery (NSW) 31/01/2014 – 15/03/2014
- Hazelhurst Regional Gallery & Arts Centre (NSW) 29/03/2014 – 11/05/2014
- Grafton Regional Gallery (NSW) 14/05/2014 – 29/06/2014
- Burrinja Cultural Centre (VIC) 03/07/2014 – 31/08/2014
- Toowoomba Regional Art Gallery (QLD) 08/09/2014 – 02/11/2014
- New England Regional Art Museum (NSW) 14/11/2014 – 08/02/2015
- Emerge Gallery, James Cook University (QLD) 18/02/2015 – 13/03/2015
- Bunbury Regional Art Gallery (WA) 18/04/2015 – 15/06/2015
- Macleay Valley Community Art Gallery (NSW) 30/07/2015 – 30/08/2015
State of Flux, Delmar Gallery
Official selection, Revelation Perth International Film Festival, Experimental Showcase
Official selection, Sydney Underground Film Festival, Free Radicals program
Official selection, Brisbane Underground Film Festival
Official selection, Del Corazon Film Festival, Juarez (Mexico) & El Paso (Texas)
Visit the CINAMNESIA site here.
Writer, Director, Director of Photography, Editor, Props
Production Assistant & Cave Drawing
Sydney College of the Arts